[Textbook-l] News about PDF generation

j.w. thomas jthomas at bittware.com
Fri Jun 13 19:26:51 UTC 2008

Robert Arustamyan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We've released new version of our wikibooks pdf generating tool. Now it
> is named wikitype and has moved to http://dash-of-pepper.com/wikitype
>
> New features:
> -- posibility to choose chapters
> -- gfdl license at the end of each book
> -- direct links to generate books like
> http://dash-of-pepper.com/wikitype?url=http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Name_Of_The_Book
> (e.g.
> http://dash-of-pepper.com/wikitype?url=http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Open_Source).
>

> If noone minds we can attach some well-formatted PDFs, like Knowing
> Knoppix (
> http://dash-of-pepper.com/wikitype/pdf-of-the-day/Knowing_Knoppix.pdf ),
> to wikibooks.org books and we would be glad if the authors do the same.
>

> Looking forward to receive your feedbacks and comments.
>

> Regards,
>
> Robert

Hi Robert,

I am so far very impressed with wikitype.  But there are some issues
with "my" book (Adventist Youth Honors Answer Book) that might interest you.

First, this book is huge.  I have not yet successfully generated a PDF
of the whole thing using wikitype.  It has a three-level hierarchy, and
in retrospect, perhaps it should have been nine books instead of one.

But I really wanted to see what wikitype could do, so I scaled back my
ambitions, and selected one of the nine sections.  Still pretty big, and
it didn't seem to work either (I gave it a couple of hours, but it never
came back with a "Get PDF" button.  So I scaled back the ambitions a
little more, and went for a single chapter of one of the sub books (I
choose "Adventist Youth Honors Answer Book/Nature/Sand" - not because it
is a great chapter, but because it is fairly small.  That worked great!

But I did notice a few problems.  Every chapter in this book uses
Template:Honor_header, which uses tables with colspan specified as
something other than 1.  That seems to be a tad broken.  A lot of the
chapters also use Template:Species_id which suffers from the same problem.

But man... this really is a great tool, and I will be busily generating
PDF's of individual chapters (or small collections of them) in the near
future.  When it can handle the whole book, I will generate one of those
too (or perhaps nine - one for each major section).

Suggested feature - Octavo or Folio printing:
A couple of months ago I printed off seven chapters and folded them into
a book.  I reduced each page with a photocopier so that I could fit four
pages on the front and four more on the back of each sheet of paper.
Then I folded each sheet in half twice, nested the whole mess, and
stapled it together.  I had to print some of pages upside-down so that
they would be right-side up when folded.  This actually has a name -
octavo - in the printing business, and there's a Wikibook called "Zine
Making" that covers this in some detail.  Getting all of this right took
several hours, as page one was on the opposite side of the page from
page 72.  It might be easier to support folio (folded once rather than
twice, so you end up with four pages per sheet of paper), but Octavo is
nice too (if you want a small book or if you're using 11"x17" paper).

Thought you'd like some feedback.  Once again, I cannot praise wikitype
highly enough!

jthomas at bittware.com  http://www.bittware.com    (603) 226-0404 x536
A great mind thinks alike.