[Textbook-l] Dual-licensed wikibooks

mike.lifeguard mike.lifeguard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 13:12:41 UTC 2008

Using a template on each page is a step in the right direction, but it is
still questionable whether that is acceptable legally. /Assuming it is/,
other issues arise. What if we want to move a page into the book? That page
is not dual-licensed (or maybe & this is what Andrew was getting at --
licensed in some totally different way) and so ruins the dual licensing for
the whole book. Furthermore, Wikibooks is openly advertised as being
GFDL(-only) - mediawiki.org is openly advertised as having a PD Help:
namespace. For them, the problems raised by moving content around isn't
really relevant, as the help pages stand alone. But for us, it raises huge
logistical concerns.

My biggest problem here is that we cannot force anyone to license their work
under anything but the GFDL. So if someone doesn't want to also use cc-by-sa
or PD or whatever, we can't say "Then you may not contribute to this book"

Wikibooks is for GFDL-licensed textbooks - I understand the rationale for
expanding that, but I think it may cause more problems than it solves. That
said, I'd love to see effort put into methods of doing this properly (ie not
repeating the probably-invalid attempts of the past)

Mike