[Textbook-l] The PDF generator on the toolserver has implications for quality control on a per-chapter basis

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Sun Nov 25 15:20:52 UTC 2007

> As far as quality control is concerned, I'd love to see something akin
> to a "published page" tab and "revised" or "draft" page that could be
> edited, with some sort of admin-type tool that could be used to select a
> specific version of the page edits to be noted as the "published page"
> that could be used by casual readers to the wiki.  The decision for what
> page would actually be selected is something to be decided by the
> participants of that page.  I don't believe this would take too much
> additional programming in terms of adding the extension to MediaWiki,
> and it would only require the creation of one additional and smallish
> table to keep track of: what the current "published version" of the page
> is at the moment.  It might even help with caching issues as the
> published version would be the one to cache, not necessarily the one
> with the latest edit.  Just a thought here, and something on my personal
> wish list of future Wiki tools I'd love to see.

just fyi, you may want to look at FLOSS Manuals
(http://www.flossmanuals.net)

we have exactly this structure so maybe browse around it and see if this
is the kind of idea that you like.

there are published pages:
http://www.flossmanuals.net/read

and the 'backend' where manuals are written:
http://www.flossmanuals.net/write

the 'published' pages are static, and the backend holds pages that can
be dynamically edited.

the PDFs that are linked from the 'published' pages are also static

adam