[Textbook-l] Global Text Project

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Fri Sep 8 17:48:14 UTC 2006

Erik Moeller wrote:

>FYI - we need to talk to these people.
>
>http://globaltext.org/
>
>Global Text Project
>
>    * The goal is to create a free library of 1,000 electronic
>textbooks for students in the developing world

For myself, I strongly suspect anything that starts with "students in
the developing world" and doesn't acknowledge disadvantaged individuals
even in supposedly "first world" countries to be more or less a scam and
something to stay away from.  If their overall goal is to bring benefits
to people in specific countries but also benefit other people in the
process, I'm much more likly to support such a general project.

Of course, that is why I also consider the OLPC project to be something
of a scam as well, on the same grounds.  They don't mind selling these
laptops to kids in Nairobi, but have a real problem trying to sell the
same thing to kids in New Orleans housing projects.

If instead the stated goal was simply "to create a free library of 1,000
electronic textbooks for students" I wouldn't have nearly the problem
with what is obviously a group of extra-ordinarily condescending
individuals.

BTW, Wikibooks has over 1000 different book titles currently.  That is
not a goal.  That is a fact.  While I will admit that effective
textbooks that are useful for teaching a class are considerably fewer,
this is a group that needs to work with Wikibooks if only to help
coordinate and develop content that may be mutually useful, and the
Wikibooks project already had a team of volunteers willing to get
content developed and actual examples to show for its effort.

I wouldn't even call the XML book to be necessarily the best of
Wikibooks either.

--
Robert Scott Horning