[Textbook-l] Wikibooks - removal of games walkthrough books

Kernigh xkernigh at netscape.net
Fri Apr 28 05:15:12 UTC 2006

That name is occupied - http://wikitextbook.co.uk

> I agree that clear standards of what a "textbook" is are needed.
That would not help. The current scope of Wikibooks is already narrower then
textbooks in general. We sometimes have visitors to the site post wondering why
they cannot find public domain content such as Shakespeare.

Users who associate Wikibooks with textbooks expect to find classical fiction at
Wikibooks, like they find in United States high schools and universities.
However, you will not find that at Wikibooks - you would have to go to our
sister project Wikisource http://en.wikisource.org

The other major restriction is that material at Wikibooks must have a neutral
point of view.

> For projects which are deemed outside the scope, as an alternative to
> deletion, it might be a good idea to have "Votes for adoption" - books
> tagged in this form could continue to be developed for the time being,
> but people would be encouraged to find a different, free content wiki
> to host them. Once there is consensus about a new home, the Wikibooks
> version would be redirected there.
I will forward this idea to the [[Wikibooks:Staff lounge]] (the equivalent of
the Scriptorium or beer parlour).

> Just some ramblings from a non-Wikibooks editor,
Actually Jimmy Wales does not edit Wikibooks much (his user page does not even
mention his role as President), and the project seems to have poor communication
with the Wikimedia Foundation, meaning that the Foundation is unaware of
situations at Wikibooks (both en.wikibooks and the other language editions).

-- [[User:Kernigh]]
   http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/User:Kernigh