[Textbook-l] linearity

Karl Wick karlwick at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 28 01:11:13 UTC 2003

>I thought the reason for a textbook was for it to be
>linear. Otherwise, people could just use the
>encyclopedia.

The preliminary OChem book I am playing with has trains of
continuity, although they are more flexible than in a
printed book. Its a flexibility to link to all related
subjects that I wish the textbooks that I use had. I dont
think that most people would confuse an interlinked
textbook with an encyclopedia, as a textbook seeks to
actively teach, where an encyclopedia presents information
more passively. Plus there is an overlying scheme of nested
links that adds structure. But thats just how I see this
book on this subject turning out right now, and is no
comment on any other book or any other way or etc.

I guess a textbook as I see it should help lead a person
thru the subject even if it gives him freedom to change
direction. Isnt learning more fun for you as a learner when
you have some say on how you do it ?