[Textbook-l] Some concept ideas

Daniel Ehrenberg littledanehren at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 26 22:49:31 UTC 2003

--- Magnus Manske <magnus.manske at web.de> wrote:
> On the other hand, keeping anonymous edits might be
> good as well, as
> vandals then wouldn't log in, and *potential* (!)
> vandalism could be
> rather easily on Recent Changes by the very fact
> that it's an anonymous
> edit (most "real" authors are probably logged in).

That seems akin to racial profiling. I knew a great
previously-anon user who now goes by
Crusadeonilliteracy. He didn't want to take credit for
his contrabutions, so he didn't make a login. But a
login was required to upload pictures and move pages,
so he made a username. If he couldn't make anon edits,
he probably wouldn't use wikipedia. I, and probably
the majority of the people on this list, also started
out anon for the first few contrabutions. Anonimity is
an essential part of a wiki. UseMod (which most wikis
run on for simplicity and speed, no offence Magnus)
doesn't even have logins.
-LDan