[Textbook-l] licenses

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 28 19:02:43 UTC 2003

Karl Wick wrote:
>In case it escaped anyones attention:
>
>http://textbook.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_chemistry:Licenses
>
>Also, I followed the GNU FDL compatibility link and it
>didnt go anywhere, does anyone have the good link ?
>
>( http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl/compatibility/ )

You /cannot/ create your own license terms Karl - until we resolve this issue
on the mailing list the /only/ terms that are to be followed are this;

Please note that all contributions to Wikipedia are considered to be released
under the GNU Free Documentation License (see Wikipedia:Copyrights for
details). If you don't want your writing to be edited mercilessly and
redistributed at will, then don't submit it here.

You are also promising us that you wrote this yourself, or copied it from a
public domain or similar free resource. DO NOT SUBMIT COPYRIGHTED WORK
WITHOUT PERMISSION!

This is the only thing people agree to when submitting. Please see the talk
page. But you can certainly /ask/ other people who work on the organic
chemistry book whether or not they will also release their own work under
other licenses. However you cannot require them to do so.

We have always been able to /informally/ have disjoint licenses - you can
release all original work by yourself under any license you want. But what
licenses are enforced on the Wikimedia server is a matter of policy - which
we still are in the middle of debating.

--Daniel Mayer (aka mav)