[Textbook-l] RE: different open content licenses

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 27 12:15:40 UTC 2003

Toby wrote:
>The periodic table isn't covered by copyright anyway.
>Most of our [[en:List of ...]] articles are similarly free;
>there is no copyright on information, only creative work.
>(IANAL, and it'd be interesting to ask one just how far that goes.)

The table itself, no. But the particular table in Wikipedia has different
colors for the series, a particular selection of which series to have, and
different colors for the different states of each element - all that is
creative work and is under copyright.

And a chemistry textbook without its own periodic table is very strange - just
copy the darn thing Karl. :)

--mav