[Textbook-l] No new wikis

Sanford Forte siforte at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jul 19 09:08:34 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Moeller" <erik_moeller at gmx.de>
To: <textbook-l at wikipedia.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2003 12:46 AM
Subject: Re: [Textbook-l] No new wikis

> [...]
> we want; "textbook", on the other hand, refers to a quite specific type of
> work. I think this should be changed. Semantics are important -- the
> semantics we define now will be the foundations for policies and
> conventions that develop later.
>
> > ? Why the Wikipedia.org sub-domains? I already own wikibook.org/.com
>
> That seems like a reasonable project name to me. But please, no further
> names that are bastardizations of the word "wiki" like "Wiktion". These
> really don't work well in other languages.
>
> > If the needs of a particular project require separation then let's
provide
> > it. Having a project that is so broad that is has no focus is also a
realy
> > bad thing (Everything2 plays that role already).
>
> Obviously. Combining non-fiction and fiction on the same site would be a
> bad idea, for example.
>
> Discussing things on Meta:
> > Partly true - the WikiProjects always use at least one real article as a
> > test case but then many modifications are made as that template is
applied
> > to other articles - the template evolves. But a WikiProject is a far cry
> > from a new Wikimedia project (which has a vastly larger focus).
>
> Sure, but I fail to see how the discussion of a substantially larger
> project would somehow "overtax" Meta. The number of changes on Meta is
> only a fraction of those on the English wiki, and yet, the English wiki
> still scales. What's the problem with planning these things in an
> organized way?
>
> > Different strokes for different folks. Some people like chaos and
newness -
> > let them work out the rough spots and you can join later when the
project
> > has more or less stabilized.
>
> And stabilized to what? A chaotic process does not always lead to good
> results. It is better to at least define the ground rules before starting
> the project.
>
> > That wasn't my point - in fact I agreed that some discussion is a good
> > thing. But I am a bit skeptical that we need to have so much of the
ground
> > work settled before actually working on the project. Too much planning
for a
> > project is like the birth of Athena in which she sprung forth from the
head
> > of Zeus fully-grown, educated and in full battle armor - what a
headache.

> Just the basics:
> 1) Name of the project
> 2) Types of content that are to be covered
> 3) Key policies
> 4) Timetable for setting things up
> 5) Potential changes that need to be made to the software
> 6) Templates
> 7) Internationalization
> 8) Participants
>
> Formalize these things, then have a vote on whether the project should in
> fact be started. Is that too much to ask?
---------------
This is also good advice. Extrapolating from my last post (to Daniel),
Erik's points (above), along with frameworks (as content guidelines), would
be a good place to start any textbook project. The only quibble I have is
with 'timetable'. A timetable will help to create a sense of urgency; it can
be set up to remind people that a project has a 'delivery' deadline, while
at the same time leaving the door open to anyone who wants to contribute
past the deadline, as long as they understand that post-deadline
contributions will remain unofficial addendums (while being completely
useful to users who don't mind dealing with the dynamic nature of a
theoretically open-ended textbook project, as far as time is considered)

Sanford