[teampractices] Looking for a group activity for written communication

Maria Cruz mcruz at wikimedia.org
Thu May 10 22:34:55 UTC 2018

Hi Max,
the up-goer five text editor <http://splasho.com/upgoer5/> might be the
tool you are looking for. When they teach how to write a README at Mozilla
Open Leaders program (see slides
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/18b9E6554iKeesr6fuxESOUY6UHRwTega1IRx3AyuAaY/edit#slide=id.g1cc5838e01_0_0>),
they use that to get people to write about their project in very simple
terms. It's a text editor that only lets you use the 100 most common words.
It is fun to try it in a workshop, and get participants to write for 5 - 10
minutes. This tool is inspired in the Up-Goer Five comic on kxcd
<https://xkcd.com/1133/> (always on the spot). While it is geared towards
explaining processes, it might be true that simpler words and simpler
sentences also build towards more friendly comms.

Along the same lines is the Hemingway app <http://www.hemingwayapp.com/>,
which is more complex, but inspired by the same principle: write simpler.
You can paste text there and it highlights the complex constructions, while
also indicating the educational level a person will need to understand
that. This can also be very good for an exercise of writing on the spot.

Finally, if you don't mind a suggestion, I would start the workshop the
Amir way: by stating that the majority of the world does not speak English,
and within those who do, the majority speak it as a second language (this
second part is my addition).

Hope that helps!

Best,

María

*María Cruz * \\  Communications and Outreach project manager, L&E
Team \\ Wikimedia
Foundation, Inc.
mcruz at wikimedia.org  |  Twitter:  @marianarra_
<https://twitter.com/marianarra_>