[teampractices] FYI: Article: Transcend the “Feature Factory”

Anne Gomez agomez at wikimedia.org
Fri Sep 1 00:04:09 UTC 2017

I find this topic really fascinating and challenging - and echo your
concerns, Kevin.

I'm thinking about this from the programmatic perspective as well. There
are interesting non-profit impact frameworks (logic models) that connect
activities and outputs to impact, but they generally come from a waterfall
approach. I think this is part of what has made it hard for the software
teams (agile) to work with the community teams (waterfall), at least in my
small corner of the world.

I think there are ways to marry the two approaches and stay focused on
impact if we treat activities and outputs as experiments (using agile) to
try to affect that change/impact. It means that we have to make space for
reflection throughout the experiment, but especially at the end, and be
honest about if what we're doing has the impact we're after as well as what
we learned along the way.

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 4:53 PM, Jeroen De Dauw <jeroendedauw at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Thanks for sharing this nice article! I will be forewarning it to my
> colleagues :)
>
> > Using Agile development with waterfall goals turns teams into "feature
> factories" with no focus on delivering value.
>
> I've also seen people discuss such situations using the term Water Scrum
> Fall.
>
> PS: I recently read "Leading Lean Software Development" which is mentioned
> and quoted from in the "Transcend the Feature Factory" article. My
> highlights are available at https://www.goodreads.com/note
> s/18897951-leading-lean-software-development/16821921-jeroen-de-dauw
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Jeroen De Dauw | https://entropywins.wtf | https://keybase.io/jeroendedauw
> Software craftsmanship advocate | Developer at Wikimedia Germany

*Anne Gomez* // Senior Program Manager, New Readers
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_Readers>
https://wikimediafoundation.org/

sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate
<http://donate.wikimedia.org>. *