[teampractices] Updated Scrum Guide

Kevin Smith kevins at qualitycode.com
Wed Nov 15 19:22:45 UTC 2017

I just came across this article[1] where Ken Schwaber and Jeff
Sutherland describe recent updates to the Scrum Guide. Ken says:

    There are five main changes to The Scrum Guide: a greater definition
    on the uses of Scrum, a more refined definition of the role of Scrum
    Master, clearer understanding of the Daily Scrum as a vehicle for
    inspection and adaption to ensure progress toward the Sprint Goal,
    the establishment of a maximum length to time boxing and updating
    the Sprint Backlog to include feedback from the Sprint Retrospectives.

The article talks a bit about "scrummerfall", which is when teams think
they're doing scrum, but are delivering at a waterfall pace. As a
compulsive story-splitter and MVP proponent, it pains me whenever I hear
about a team going multiple weeks without delivering. Almost any big
story (or epic or saga) can be sliced finely, if you get creative with
it. If any team wants help with that, I would be happy to volunteer to
join a discussion or two, to brainstorm ideas. Those kinds of
conversations are like playtime for me (as are code reviews...I'm weird).

The article also talks about how the daily standup ("scrum") should
focus intensely on hitting the sprint goals. The teams I worked with at
the foundation weren't doing timeboxed sprints, as we were doing
scrumban. But even so, if I were still coaching those teams, I would try
to experiment with this mental shift: Rather than the standups being a
perfunctory recitation of what we did/will do, I would try to shift them
more toward: "How are we doing?".

[1]
https://www.infoq.com/news/2017/11/scrum-guide-updates?utm_source=infoqWeeklyNewsletter&utm_medium=WeeklyNL_EditorialContent_culture-methods&utm_campaign=11142017news&utm_content=top

Kevin