[teampractices] Empathy vs compassion, when helping others

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Thu Feb 23 23:42:48 UTC 2017

Thanks both for sharing those links. It quickly became clear to me that my
definitions of empathy, sympathy, and compassion, are fuzzy. Quick skims of
the relevant wikipedia article intros didn't really help.

I have heard that sympathy is "bad", so I'll just empathize instead. Oops,
empathy is now dangerous? No problem, I'll just have compassion. Did I
actually change anything other than the word?

I just proposed a Tea Time topic for this.

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach, Wikimedia Foundation