[teampractices] Empathy vs compassion, when helping others

Max Binder mbinder at wikimedia.org
Thu Feb 23 22:53:30 UTC 2017

I ran across an article claiming that empathizing with others on their
issues can be a slippery slope to bias, or at the very least unnecessary
absorption of another person's issues and feelings. The article was
political in nature, so I won't post it, but it did make some claims that I
thought to research.

That let me to this article on compassion as an alternative to empathy:
http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/when_empathy_hurts_compassion_can_heal

I can't attest for the reputation of the site linked, but it makes some
interesting arguments. I thought those arguments might be relevant since we
often operate in an environment with, and espouse values using, words like
"empathy."

TL;DR:

we can better cope with others’ negative emotions by strengthening our own