[teampractices] Some recent articles about the benefits and costs of collaboration

Grace Gellerman ggellerman at wikimedia.org
Mon May 9 22:43:39 UTC 2016

Thanks, Joel!

Some TL'DRs for the ones I sent:

   - the subtitle of the group chat one says it all: "Group chat is like
   being in an all-day meeting with random participants and no agenda."

   - the Economist article talks about how open office plans tax
   concentration, context switches make tasks take longer to complete,
"collaboration
   is much easier to measure than “deep work,” and the cost that "Many
   employees are spending so much time interacting that they" have little time
   do work

   - the HBR one distinguishes 3 types  of collaborative resources:
      - informational - knowledge & skills
      - social - awareness, access to network of people
      - personal - one's time and energy, also usually default demand in
      collaboration
         - a person's time is finite and demands on it when others want
         high bandwidth interactions can lead to burnout, or one being
in demand but
         disengaged