[teampractices] Code review social norms

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Fri Mar 18 15:50:56 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 6:08 PM, Gergo Tisza <gtisza at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> some large changes simply cannot be broken up into independent small ones
> due to circular dependencies, unless you want to leave the code in a broken
> state between commits (in which case you lose most of the advantage you
> would get from breaking up the change).

I'm well aware of that, and totally agree with it. Broken code should
never[1] be committed.

I strongly believe that far more work can be done incrementally than most
developers believe. But there definitely are cases that require a single
large commit.

[1] I think there are extremely rare exceptions, but "never" captures the
essence.