[teampractices] Code review social norms

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Wed Mar 16 19:02:38 UTC 2016

Ah. I suspect another factor in my perspective is that I am very open to
pair programming. Often (as the reviewer) I would get on the phone with the
author and work through some code to the point that we were both aligned.
The author could then fix their code, and I could re-review it.

The case when the original author is asleep or on vacation, and the patch
needs to be pushed through, is different. I know it happens, but I wonder
if the norms were set up to discourage modifying someone else's patch, how
often it would be worth breaking those norms. In other words, how often are
people modifying patches because it's normal to do so, versus because it is
actually helpful and/or necessary.

In case it's not clear, I'm not that familiar with development at the WMF.
Every environment is different, but I'm just sharing what worked (really
well) for me somewhere else. Some may apply here, and I'm sure some won't.
I am intentionally trying to poke at some existing conventions and biases;
if they stand up to some scrutiny, great, but hopefully folks are open to
re-thinking them when it makes sense. Maybe we don't have to cut the ends
off our pot roasts[1].

[1] http://selfdefinedleadership.com/blog/?p=158

Kevin Smith
Agile Coach, Wikimedia Foundation