[teampractices] [FYI] Planning offsites

Geeta Kavathekar geetakavathekar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 21:55:54 UTC 2016

I just wanted to share my experience from also organizing and facilitating
global team meetings generally held in Asia. For the generation of ideas we
used the "World Cafe" method. It was good especially to give team members
that may not feel so comfortable speaking due fluency and/or personality a
chance to voice their ideas.

http://www.theworldcafe.com/key-concepts-resources/world-cafe-method/

For the "getting agreement" when we were in a smaller group trying
consolidate and prioritize we used a rubber ball to different team members
and when they had the ball it was their chance to speak. It was the
person's (who had the ball) decision on who to throw the ball to next and
again allowed people to speak and no one person to monopolize the
conversation. It also made it fun and lively!

We also used the Covey Important and Urgent Matrix to prioritize and then
finally I had 2-3 buckets and people voted by placing a paper with the
items they thought were the priorities.