[teampractices] [Discussion] Term for always prepping for the next thing

Max Binder mbinder at wikimedia.org
Wed Sep 30 21:32:04 UTC 2015

I think it is good to frame time as a budget, because it is a finite
resource. Then the mantra becomes "I need to spend less" rather than "I
need more resources."

Hofstadter's Law (a favorite) relates better to our previous point on
measuring capacity. Estimating task size and complexity is a key part of
measuring capacity. Our bullet points earlier in the thread talk about
gaining forecasting accuracy over time, and subsequently adjusting batch
size with each iteration, to get a better understanding of how long it
takes to do something in one loop. Then re-prioritize accordingly, with the
umbrella understanding that finishing (or totally abandoning) work is
usually a higher priority than starting and stopping.

Jim Benson wrote an excellent book [1] on biases that talks about
differentiating "prediction" from "estimation." Prediction is the act of
aiming with the hope you are right, where estimation is is the act of
aiming with the understanding that you are wrong. The former points you
towards a status quo and disappointment when it is not met, where the
latter prepares you for inevitable change. It's a subtle difference that
can really help to focus on when trying to inspect and adapt properly.

[1]
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Team_Practices_Group/Recommended_Reading#Agile_.28general.29