[teampractices] The Costs of Accountability

Arthur Richards arichards at wikimedia.org
Fri Sep 11 23:33:37 UTC 2015

Something for your weekend reading - an excellent and thought-provoking
read exploring the costs and potential dangers of 'metrics mania'. This was
shared with me by Anna Stillwell, a thought partner with whom I often
exchange stuff like this.

There is no question that metrics can be incredibly valuable when they
measure the right thing and can be reasonable proxies for demonstrating
value. But sometimes, this article argues often, it goes too far, leading
us to focus on the wrong things - to lose sight of the most important work
simply because we don't know how (or can't) measure it.

Definitely worth a read and discussion:
http://www.the-american-interest.com/2015/08/03/the-costs-of-accountability/

--
Arthur Richards