[teampractices] Why are WMF Department/team pages on mediawiki.org?

Guillaume Paumier gpaumier at wikimedia.org
Fri May 22 16:33:23 UTC 2015

Hi,

[I see that Kevin has responded to say that his original question was about
the Team Practices pages specifically, but since the scope of this thread has
expanded beyond that, and since I'm almost done writing this, I'm going to
send it :) ]

The short version is:
* There are historical reasons for having those pages on mediawiki.org.
* Many of those reasons don't apply any more.
* We need to distinguish between team pages (and process documentation), and
project/feature documentation.
* mediawiki.org is the right place for documentation about MediaWiki
extensions and features.
* Meta is a better place for team pages & process documentation.

Keep reading for the longer version :)

Le vendredi 22 mai 2015, 03:36:59 S Page a écrit :
> cc'ing guillom who AIUI set up the Wikimedia engineering reporting.

Back in 2010, RobLa started a process to audit our engineering development
practices and processes:
https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/Archive:EPM_Process_and_Tools

One of his recommendations was to create "project pages" for WMF engineering
projects, to improve consistency between projects, to improve the execution
process, and to facilitate transparency and reporting:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Development_process_improvement/2010_Q3_plan

A few months later, I was tasked with organizing and maintaining a system to
do just that. At the time, we didn't have Lua, so I created a system of
intricate (and fragile) templates to automate this as much as possible. This
is what allowed us to have project infoboxes, status subpages, monthly reports
based on transclusion, etc.

When we create project pages in 2010-2011, people started creating team pages
on mediawiki.org, because that's where most of their work was happening. It
then became the norm for engineering groups, and thanks to the transclusion
system we were able to set up "team hubs", i.e. pages that listed the team
members as well as the current projects and their status.

There have always been doubts about whether mediawiki.org was the right place
for project documentation; it made sense for some projects directly related to
MediaWiki (e.g. ArticleFeedback), but not for others (e.g. the annual
fundraiser). In the end, we kept things there because of the reasons already
given in this thread: inertia, the fact that we wanted to stay close to
volunteers, and the fact that we wanted to keep things in as few different
places as possible. Our "internal stuff" was "tolerated" by the mediawiki.org
community because there wasn't really a better solution under the constraints
we had.

Most of that system became obsolete when we moved our project management
processes to Phabricator last year, and when we replaced the monthly
engineering report by quarterly reviews. A few months ago, I wrapped up the
transition by retiring most of those complex templates, and basically freezing
all the content in time for archiving purposes:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T94180

Now that much has moved to Phabricator (including the roadmap) or elsewhere
(the reports), I don't see a compelling reason to keep team pages on
mediawiki.org. mediawiki.org has always aimed to be a place to document the
MediaWiki software, and we now have an opportunity to return to that narrower
scope. Extension pages, feature documentation, etc. should be hosted there;
team pages, photo galleries, etc. however don't really need to be there any
more. Meta-Wiki is a better place for "internal WMF stuff" that don't need to
be private (i.e. on the office wiki) or editing-restricted (i.e. on
wikimediafoundation.org).

I hope this helps; I'm happy to continue the discussion to share historical
knowledge, answer questions, or help organize pages on Meta.

--
Guillaume Paumier