[teampractices] Code review before writing new code

Arthur Richards arichards at wikimedia.org
Mon Jun 8 18:45:05 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 9:25 AM, James Douglas <jdouglas at wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> > "A team should review their open patchsets before writing new code."
>
> +1, this is a great way to remind ourselves to focus on priorities.

While in principle I agree with this notion, I don't think this solves the
problem of "Our code review queues keep growing", or gets us closer to
resolving the underlying issues. I would even go as far as to say that for
many of the WMF engineering teams, staying focussed on their teams'
priorities may in fact contribute to code review queues growing -
especially for repositories that have no clear ownership or are for
projects that do not rank near the top of the WMF's or a given team's
priorities.

It's cool to see a "ranking of repositories" in Korma which ranks
repos by "oldest
median age of unreviewed changesets". I clicked through the first 100 of
those repos and with only a few exceptions that I'm aware of, those
repositories do not have owners on WMF engineering teams. Is there a way to
see which repositories have the largest and/or fastest growing unreviewed
queue of changesets? I would guess that the biggest issues around lack of
code review happen in repos that have no clear/current ownership or are in
repos owned by someone in the WMF but in a project that may be low
organizational priority relative to other things they/their team is working
on. But it's just a guess - seeing that kind of data might help us get a
better understanding of the problem.

--
Arthur Richards
Team Practices Manager