[teampractices] Tracking team member calendars?

Kevin Smith ksmith at wikimedia.org
Wed Jun 3 22:50:29 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 3:28 PM, Greg Grossmeier <greg at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> > Is it
> > possible to set up group aliases in google calendar, allowing you quickly
> > set up a meeting with a certain 10 people?
>
> I don't see how that's possible given all of those 10 people have
> different scheduled :/

Being able to enter, say "search-team" as a guest, and have the system
auto-expand that as if I had entered 10 names is a reasonable feature. Not
one that exists, apparently, but it would be nice if it did.  Just today I
realized that I had invited 6 of our 7 team members to a meeting, because I
had to type all the names in, and I forgot one.

> I don't find it too hard to schedule ~10 people for a meeting... It's

not a fun job that I tend to just offload to Sarah, Megan, Praveena,
> with immense gratitude.

Absolutely. For actually scheduling a meeting, they do a great job. But for
me to quickly answer the question "How much of our team will be around next
week?", or "Where's teammate Betty today?", existing tools don't work well.
Creating a pretend event, and then typing in 10 names, only to discard it
moments later, is annoying.

Before I started this thread, I had a brief informal chat with Sarah about
team calendars. She seemed ambivalent about them. If she had felt strongly
one way or the other, I might not have brought this to a wider audience.