[teampractices] Document what should be a column on Phab workboards and what better not?

Andre Klapper aklapper at wikimedia.org
Mon Jan 26 23:18:52 UTC 2015

Hi,

while I have not yet found a way to follow creation of Phabricator
project workboards, I recently had the opportunity to look at the
Parsoid board at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/board/487/
and wondered if there are potential recommendations to document.

(Sorry for picking Parsoid, it's just that you nice guys sat next to me
so I could look over your shoulder. I'd love to watch more teams using
workboards, so we can learn from each other and improve together.)

Please correct if I am wrong:

To me some columns on the Parsoid board look process-oriented ('In
Progress', 'Requires Progress'); some look like time-independant generic
classification ('robustness'; maybe 'testing').

Phabricator offers global 'Performance' and 'Technical Debt' project
tags, so my recommendation would be tagging tasks in those columns
accordingly (instead of using a column), combined with saving a custom
query to share among the team members (see [1]) to find those issues.
Classification that's not generic enough could be Parsoid-* tags instead
(see [2] for already existing ones). That solves the problem that a task
can have 0-∞ projects associated, while a task can only be in ONE column
on a workboard.

Does that make sense? If yes, should
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Project_management#Setting_up_a_Workboard_or_Sprint_Board
be extended to cover "what kind of stuff should be workboard columns,
what should be tags", and could someone put that into words?

Thank you,
andre

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Help#Custom_queries_in_Maniphest
[2] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/query/all/?after=Parso