[teampractices] Thesis project: Phragile - sprint overviews for Phabricator

Tobi Gritschacher tobias.gritschacher at wikimedia.de
Fri Jan 16 11:19:46 UTC 2015

Hello everybody,

I think the scope of the Phragile project was probably not pointed out
clearly enough in the initial E-Mail, so I'll try to clarify:
* Phragile is not a WMDE project, it is a research project at an university
in cooperation with WMDE.
* Jakob is not working for WMDE but writing his Bachelor Thesis at an
university.
* Jakob currently is a volunteer and is not paid by WMDE for implementing
Phragile.

Further answers inline.

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 10:51 PM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 3:48 AM, Jakob Warkotsch <
> jakob.warkotsch at wikimedia.de> wrote:
>
>> These features might sound familiar if you have heard of the Phabricator
>> Sprint extension that Christopher Johnson is working on here at WMDE.
>> Unlike this Phabricator Sprint extension, Phragile only needs access to
>> Phabricator's API and OAuth Server but has no dependencies on its code and
>> can be deployed externally.
>>

> Why is this a benefit? If it's hard to deploy Phabricator improvements, we
> should fix that.

Sure, I agree if there are issues in getting Phabricator improvements
deployed within a reasonable time we should fix that but this is a separate
topic and does not affect the development of Phragile. Apart from that, as
I understood the initial E-Mail, these points were not particularly pointed
out as benefits but as main differences to the Phabricator Sprint
Extension. It's up to individual teams to decide whether they consider
these points as benefits or not.

> Having a solution that works inside Phab seems to have a better
> probability of long term success if it's useful to other Phabricator users
> as well.

While that might most likely be true, it should however not block anybody
from working on alternative solutions.

> I worry that we're creating too many solutions for the same problem,
> again, instead of sticking to one and making it work.

The clarification regarding the scope of the Phragile project I provided in
the beginning of the mail should clear up this concern.

> Does WMDE intend to deprecate the Sprint extension?

Here's a bit of background story how we at WMDE finally ended up polishing
the Sprint Extension: when the decision was made to migrate away from
Bugzilla, WMDE was looking for an alternative to Scrumbugz (as this only
works with Bugzilla). The Wikidata Team was developing agile for a long
time already and using Scrumbugz was a huge benefit for PM, SCRUM Master
and developers. So we were in the need of finding a solution rather quickly
to avoid returning to "paper-only-age". The half-way finished Scrum
Extension was a good candidate to have a quick solution and since we had
free resources and WMF folks were already busy enough with the migration we
ended up implementing the necessary changes to the extension.

Currently there are no plans to deprecate the Sprint Extension and
depending on free resources we are happy to continue working on it.

Hope that does make sense and I was able to clarify some things.

cheers, tobi

--
Tobi Gritschacher
SCRUM Master & Software Developer

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

Imagine a world, in which every single human being can freely
share in the sum of all knowledge. That‘s our commitment.
http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Phone +49 (0)30 219 158 260