[teampractices] Thesis project: Phragile - sprint overviews for Phabricator

Jakob Warkotsch jakob.warkotsch at wikimedia.de
Tue Jan 6 11:48:21 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

my name is Jakob and I am a computer science student at Freie Universität
Berlin. I am currently working with Wikimedia Deutschland on a project
called Phragile for my bachelor thesis. My supervisor is Abraham
Taherivand, the Head of Software Development and I am also working with
Tobi Gritschacher, WMDE’s Scrum Master, to analyse and identify the needs
for Phragile. Phragile generates sprint overviews including burndown
charts, sprint backlogs and other useful information for Phabricator sprint
projects using its API. Scrum masters and product owners will be able to
sign in to it using Phabricator’s OAuth module and create new sprints on
Phragile which will be synchronized with Phabricator.

These features might sound familiar if you have heard of the Phabricator
Sprint extension that Christopher Johnson is working on here at WMDE.
Unlike this Phabricator Sprint extension, Phragile only needs access to
Phabricator's API and OAuth Server but has no dependencies on its code and
can be deployed externally. Another feature is the ability to archive
sprint data to review a sprint later on even if the associated tasks and
projects are changed or deleted on Phabricator. Phragile is based on WMDE’s
Scrum teams’ needs and will be the long term solution for managing sprints
if everything goes as planned.

The thesis is due in March and a first working version of the tool will be
ready by the end of February. You can find more information about the
project on phragile.net (which redirects to GitHub for now) and the GitHub
Wiki (https://github.com/wmde/phragile/wiki/Backlog). I will send regular
updates about the development progress.

Best regards,
Jakob