[teampractices] "Maintenance" vs "New work"

Greg Grossmeier greg at wikimedia.org
Wed Aug 5 21:33:36 UTC 2015

<quote name="Dan Garry" date="2015-08-05" time="13:25:25 -0700">
> I'm not certain I understand the need to draw a distinction between
> maintenance and new work. I prefer to think purely in terms of what work is
> the most strategic in terms of achieving our mission; for the purposes of
> that, whether work is "maintenance work" or "new work" is irrelevant, as
> all that matters is if the work is the most strategic. Is there any
> background on why you are being asked to make this distinction?

>From the notes of our Quarterly Review in July:

---quote---
==All infrastructure teams, in future quarterly reviews==
--> Lila: for all teams: assess how much of your time goes to:
* supporting others
* new projects
* prototyping / research
want to see a pie chart at end of q
---quote---

I read that as a mandate that we have to follow through on :)

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Metrics_and_activities_meetings/Quarterly_reviews/Infrastructure,_July_2015
Search for "slide 35" on that page.

I wasn't there, but the way it's been communicated to me and others
since then is "maintenance vs new work". The Ops team is having a
similar conversation right now as well. See eg:
https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/Operations/Operations_Meeting_Notes/TechOps-2015-08-03#Updates

Greg

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |