[teampractices] Analysis of traffic to TPG's Mediawiki pages

Joel Aufrecht jaufrecht at wikimedia.org
Mon Aug 3 20:54:36 UTC 2015

Kevin Leduc ran some traffic analysis for us.

Total traffic since May 1, 2015:
*TPG Page* *Page Views* Improving_burndown_charts 493 / 396 Glossary 385
How_to_run_a_good_meeting 184 Health_check_survey 157
Best_Practices_Handbook 143 Task_Tracking 133 Phabricator_Tips 119
Onboarding 98 Team_Norms 69 Roles_and_Responsibilities 68
Recommended_Reading 50 Retrospectives/2015-04-27 50
Retrospectives/Team_Health_Check_-_FY2015Q3 36 Retrospectives 17 SOPs 17
Task_Tracking_Temp 15 Proposal_for_formation 13
Health_check_survey/FY2014-15Q1 8
Health_check_survey/Guidance_for_facilitators 8 Retrospectives/2015-03-26 6
Q2_2014_app_health_check 2 Phabricator_tips'A=0 1
(E.g., "Improving_burndown_charts" is
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Team_Practices_Group/Improving_burndown_charts
)

We can't tell TPG users from other users, but we do have a little
geographic data.  The top 10 cities cover 80% of views, but the full list
runs over 150 cities.

Orwell 535 Unknown 439 San Francisco 331 Boulder 243 Ashburn 144 Boardman
130 Pleasant Hill 79 Tokyo 38 Buffalo 33 Mountain View 30
The countries are much more concentrated:

United States 1826 Germany 211 France 69 Unknown 59 Poland 48 Japan 46 China
35 Canada 26 Ireland 19 Chile 15
One country/page combo stood out:

Germany: 176 views: Improving_burndown_charts

Conclusions:

   - A gut estimate of how much TPGers edit the TPG pages suggests that
   most of this volume comes from TPG, but not all of it.
   - There doesn't seem to be any practical way to confirm that one way or
   the other
   - I'm not sure how we would interpret various #s of non-TPG readers (or
   editors) anyway.  What is the value to the Foundation if 20 people read at
   least one glossary entry?  How much more effective would they have to
   become to justify the work spent on it?  How else do we get value from the
   glossary (or other pages) - how much more efficient does having it make us?
   - I asked Kevin if he could run this automatically once a month; if
   there is some change we can investigate.  Other than that, I don't have any
   plan to investigate this further.

*Joel Aufrecht*
Team Practices Group
Wikimedia Foundation