[teampractices] "Testing 101" docs from Etsy

Quim Gil qgil at wikimedia.org
Wed Oct 29 11:07:06 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Antoine Musso <hashar+wmf at free.fr> wrote:

> Le 29/10/2014 00:13, Chris McMahon a écrit :
> >
> > Relevant to our interests, this seems to two nice guides to practical
> > unit testing in PHP from
> > Etsy:
> http://codeascraft.com/2014/08/20/teaching-testing-our-testing-101-materials/
>
> Their testing best practices guide is a good introduction.  It is geared
> toward PHP and PHPUnit but the concepts remain the same for other
> languages.
>
> https://github.com/etsy/Testing101/blob/master/Testing_Best_Practices.md

Slightly related only, but very timely. Google Code-in is approaching (the
program where pre-university students complete hundreds of small tasks),
and we are looking for clonable tasks, aka types of tasks that can be
repeated in big quantities.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Code-in_2014

I was wondering whether we could use Google Code-in to increase our unit
testing coverage. I guess there are certain components and areas easier to
to cover than others, and I guess there is DIY documentation that could be
used here, but I have no idea of how feasible and useful this would be.