[teampractices] mingle seats

Bryan Davis bd808 at wikimedia.org
Fri Nov 7 19:53:40 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 12:35 PM, Greg Grossmeier <greg at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 5:43 AM, Antoine Musso <hashar+wmf at free.fr> wrote:
>> Wiki has already proven it is a terrible tool for project tracking. That
>> also adds yet another tool whereas Phabricator is meant to replace
>> everything.
>
> Yeah, but the use case of the SoS wall is very... static-ish. The
> "cards" on that wall are just there to call out a dependency (X->Y),
> not actually track the work. They all either have no context and are
> just a title or have a link to another BZ bug or trello card or RT
> ticket or whatever.
>
> That's pretty easy to map to a table on-wiki.
>
> WITH ALL THAT SAID: yes, long/mid/whatever term let's get that
> functionality in Phab, but let's not pay money to Thoughtworks for a
> simple table.

The matrix view is cute, but once everything is in Phabricator it
seems like there could just be a project for each team (like
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/mediawiki-core-team/>) and a
project for SoS. Tag your issues with your team, the blocking team and
SoS to put them in all backlogs. Then the SoS board view could have
columns for the "scheduled", "in progress", "done" and "blocked"
status.

It would be great to see some additional visualization options added
to Phabricator too, but I don't think the idea of tracking inter-team
dependencies remotely requires it.

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd808 at wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]]  Sr Software Engineer            Boise, ID USA