[teampractices] Trellos & Minglers, what is blocking your migration to Phabricator?

Quim Gil qgil at wikimedia.org
Sat Nov 1 14:30:35 UTC 2014

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 3:08 AM, S Page <spage at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Followed by picture of dragon. Love it :)

I'm glad you like it.  :)

> I wonder, can we help you help us moving faster in this front?
>> I wonder how feasible it is to start the migration sooner with a bit of
>> manual work, taking into account that the teams need to learn and get used
>> to the tool anyways.
>>

> Sure, but why do you want us to move faster? You're busy, teams are busy.
> Again the huge win is avoiding the $#@! dance of making a card for a
> bugzilla bug then keeping the bug and project in sync. Phabricator would
> have to be unimaginably awful as a project manager for us to reject that
> unification; it isn't.

Yesterday we proposed to start the Bugzilla migration on Friday 21
November, three weeks from now. Rationally you are right, it is better to
just wait and then move right after the migration. Some teams will take it
easier, some teams are doing their first steps earlier. As I see it,
training a team takes time, while merging 30 cloned tasks is trivial. This
is why we already welcome any team willing to step in, as long as they
understand the risks (and the fun).

We are very busy in the software development side, but in the "social" side
we can support more teams moving in. The value of this bit of extra rush is
better testing, better prioritization of tasks, building momentum, and
growing the community of early birds who will help supporting the big wave
of new users that will come at once.

Anyway, we can't complain. There are almost 700 users registered in
Wikimedia Phabricator now, and counting.