[teampractices] Hangout alternative: appear.in

Matthew Flaschen mflaschen at wikimedia.org
Wed Feb 26 22:38:16 UTC 2014

On 02/19/2014 04:17 PM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> http://appear.in/ is a WebRTC videoconferencing site hosted by Norwegian
> telcom Telenor. It works absolutely fine for people on Linux. Although
> the source code isn't openly licensed, appear.in <http://appear.in>
> doesn't require that the user install a proprietary plugin, so it's
> better on that count than Hangout. And, like chatb.org
> <http://chatb.org>, it does not demand a login.

I heard about a couple new ones on the GSOC mentors list.  These both
use WebRTC (no plugins) and are FOSS.  I have not tried them yet:

* JSCommunicator (http://jscommunicator.org/).  For one and one calls
(not sure if it also does group).  Two existing installs:
https://rtc.debian.org/ and https://freephonebox.net/

* JitMeet (https://jitsi.org/Projects/JitMeet) - Videoconferencing.

Matt Flaschen