[teampractices] Team membership, what does it mean.

Jeremy Baron jeremy at tuxmachine.com
Tue Dec 2 22:32:02 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 9:42 PM, Jared Zimmerman
<jared.zimmerman at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Do we have agreement on what being part of a phabricator team means?
>
> Should only foundation employees be members of teams?
>
> Should team membership be open?
>
> What do we think it means to be a member of the team?

I don't good answers for most of these questions but I can add some
more of my own. See also
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:S4e333d38pu3xj50

I can think of a limited number of reasons to use projects (at least
within the scope of Maniphest. and all teams are projects):
* as ACLs (or a part of an ACL)
* as ways to track/categorize/prioritize tasks
* as a way to identify who is logically part of what group on e.g. a
phab user's user page

any others?

I think we should generally prohibit projects from containing tasks if
those projects are used as ACLs or limit membership for any other
reason. Any brand new contributor with no special privileges should be
able to get phab's equivalent of "default CC" on those projects that
interest them. (even if they are projects like "security" or
"operations")

FWIW, I tend to prefer the Mozilla model of bugzilla security which
allows any (or nearly any) product/component (their equivalent of
phab's project) to contain a security bug which then is restricted to
the security group+reporter+CC'd people. WMF model was Security
bugzilla product that required security bugs to go into that product
and didn't allow them to be properly categorized until they are ready
to be made public. WMF Security bugs were able to be seen/editeed by
group+reporter+CC'd people. (this part is the same as Mozilla model)

I believe I read somewhere that the plan was essentially to make WMF
phab security work the same way as WMF bugzilla model. But this is
complicated because phab is not just taking in bugzilla's functions,
also several other systems too.

> What does memeber vs watcher mean on a project?

Not 100% sure but it has to do with how much phab spams you. member is
always a prerequisite to be a watcher. (member might be "watcher
light"?)

> I don't have answers to these, but it might be good to establish best practices sooner rather than later.

-Jeremy

P.S. unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any default location to
discuss how to use a specific project. e.g. a talk page per project.
right?