[teampractices] Apache Allura

Quim Gil qgil at wikimedia.org
Wed Apr 2 18:20:36 UTC 2014

On Wednesday, April 2, 2014, Toby Negrin <tnegrin at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/wiki/Home/
>
> I haven't heard this mentioned in these discussions but it seems like a
> viable solution.
>
> They provided a handy comparison matrix with other tools:
>
> https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/wiki/Feature%20Comparison/
>
> I also hadn't realized that this type of software is called a "Forge" :)

In broad terms (don't quote me), this is the software developed by
http://sourceforge.net/ over the years, different from an early fork that
was popular (andI  used in some projects) years ago, http://gforge.org

I haven't tried Allura, neither GForge in the past years, but the principle
of *forge was to offer an ok platform to "forges" needing to host dozens of
projects that could not afford to maintain the good tools for every aspect
of development. It was quite dirty, but good enough for basic projects with
1-10 developers (which is the usual case in SourceForge). I don't see a
project MediaWiki Core fitting there comfortably.

Also, I wonder how flexible is the development team hearing about new
requirements or adapting to someone else's priorities, since they have been
around for a long time, and they have a huge legacy to maintain.

--
Quim Gil
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil