[teampractices] Scrum-y tools based on BZ (was Re: Scrumbu.gs)

Greg Grossmeier greg at wikimedia.org
Tue Oct 29 17:29:19 UTC 2013

<quote name="Erik Moeller" date="2013-10-28" time="17:56:06 -0700">
> With that in mind, I want to highlight a tool developed by Mozilla
> using the Bugzilla API and the "whiteboard" field in Bugzilla:
> http://scrumbu.gs/

tl;dr: there's lot of ideas being thrown around at Mozilla on this so if
someone is interested in helping shape the tools, now is a good time to
get involved with them.

I (like others at WMF) have some buddies who work at Mozilla.

One is Will Kahn-Greene. He's the author of such loved tools as
richard[0], dennis[1], and steve[2].

I asked him about scrumbu.gs and his response was "it isn't quite right
yet, which is why I wrote ernest[3]"

You can see ernest in action at:
https://sumo-ernest.paas.allizom.org/project/support-mozilla-org/2013-22

Warning:
13:06 <    willkg> ernest is *very* alpha.
13:07 <    willkg> rdalal is working on redoing the ui/ux. i'm waiting
on him to do that before i add some more functionality i want.
13:07 <    willkg> he did the ui/ux for standup:
http://standu.ps/team/sumo
13:07 <    willkg> so i have high hopes.

Regarding the backlog management aspect, it appears that the SUMO team
(support.mozilla.org) will be using this work-around:
https://sumo-ernest.paas.allizom.org/project/support-mozilla-org/2013-backlog

Yeah, it's still "everything is a bug" type system, but I don't imagine
it'd be hard to integrate wiki pages as the stories mechanism (or
blueprints if you come from Launchpad/Ubuntu).

Greg

[0] https://github.com/willkg/richard
[1] https://github.com/willkg/dennis
[2] https://github.com/willkg/steve
[3] https://github.com/willkg/ernest

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |