[teampractices] Dialy Scrum and timezone differences

James Forrester jforrester at wikimedia.org
Fri Oct 25 15:29:11 UTC 2013

On 25 October 2013 03:42, Christian Aistleitner
<christian at quelltextlich.at>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the analytics team is currently spread between UTC-7 and UTC+3. Our
> Daily Scrum meeting is at 17:00 UTC, so in local time it varies
> between 10:00 .. 20:00.
>
> Having mandatory meetings every single workday at 20:00 can easily
> kill your social life, which is bad™.
>
> Scrum books and the intertubes mostly mention the problem, and some
> even offer some guidance [1]. But we're still looking for a good
> solution.
>
> How do other WMF-teams handle this?

When at "home", the VisualEditor team is spread over 9 timezones (between
UTC+1/2 and UTC-7/8 - the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, New York,
Portland and San Francisco), with the "average" developer timezone being
UTC-4, though sadly none of us live in Barbados. We have a daily standup at
10:00 SF time, which works for our team but mostly because our non-US team
members choose to work roughly NYC or even SF hours and so there's a lot of
overlap. Though this has served us well for over a year, I'm not sure this
is a great model (as you say, it cuts into social time for the team who are
remote, though they do occasionally skip stand-ups when they have a
match/party/event/etc.).

​J.
--
James D. Forrester