[teampractices] [Product] Bugs on the deployment train

Greg Grossmeier greg at wikimedia.org
Thu Oct 17 18:04:18 UTC 2013

For the record, that's basically the heuristic (combo of James and
Arthur's) that I've been using when people ask me for special deploy
windows.

So, +1 from me.

Greg

<quote name="Arthur Richards" date="2013-10-17" time="10:41:06 -0700">
> +teampractices and wikitech-l for more input
>

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Arthur Richards
> <arichards at wikimedia.org>wrote:
>
> > I generally agree with James'/VE's approach. I'm not sure we can
> > reasonably come up with a sound metric (eg 'degredation that affects
> > roughly one percent of users') as it may not always be easily measurable. I
> > think a gut-check, qualitative assessment should suffice for these kinds of
> > issues, and can probably be broken into a few buckets:
> >
> > *) critical functionality is BROKEN (eg edits are not being saved, article
> > content is not accessible), there is a security concern, or a legal issue -
> > this needs to be fixed ASAP, like possibly before the next lightning deploy
> > *) semi-critical functionality is broken but doesn't impede basic usage of
> > critical site components (imo: reading, editing [in that order]) - (eg the
> > watchlist star on an article doesn't accurately indicate if an article is
> > being watched) - fixed and backported with earliest possible lightning
> > deploy window
> > *) annoyances (styling not quite right, obscure javascript errors),
> > non-security/legal issues in beta/alpha versions - fixed with next
> > deployment train
> >
> > This has generally been our approach to date on the mobile web team,
> > although I don't think we've ever been explicit about a rubric.
> >

> > On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 1:53 PM, James Forrester <jforrester at wikimedia.org
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Kenan,
> >>
> >> For VE we backport (cherry pick) fixes of major issues ASAP (generally by
> >> grabbing the next available Lightning Deploy window after we've tested it),
> >> but for inconveniences (i.e., things not quite as intended but still
> >> workable, or only affecting a few users) we generally just go for the next
> >> week's deployment train instead. Otherwise, yeah, they just join the
> >> backlog.
> >>
> >> J.

> >> --
> >> James D. Forrester
> >> Product Manager, VisualEditor
> >> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
> >>
> >> jforrester at wikimedia.org | @jdforrester
> >>

> > --
> > Arthur Richards
> > Software Engineer, Mobile
> > [[User:Awjrichards]]
> > IRC: awjr
> > +1-415-839-6885 x6687
> >

> --
> Arthur Richards
> Software Engineer, Mobile
> [[User:Awjrichards]]
> IRC: awjr
> +1-415-839-6885 x6687

| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |