[teampractices] Addition to Scrum of Scrums?

Arthur Richards arichards at wikimedia.org
Tue Dec 3 20:00:07 UTC 2013

This is a really interesting question - I think it touches on a couple of
bigger questions than just the scrum of scrums though: why are volunteer
patchsets languishing? Is/are there internal advocates for volunteer
contributions and who is responsible for prioritizing that work and
ensuring that patchsets are getting reviewed - particularly the important
ones?

Scrum of scrums is not about discussing blockers/dependencies to patchsets
- it's about discovering what is preventing us from getting our work done
and letting people know when we might be about to do something that could
potentially impact others/other teams. Conversation tends to be technical
and strategic, coordinating around dependencies.

I can imagine having a community engineer or community engineering advocate
in the SoS, but more for the purpose of coordinating/driving volunteer work
in the broader context of the staff engineering tames rather than pushing
to get patches reviewed. If the problem is that there are a lot of
volunteer patchsets languishing, I do not think SoS is the appropriate
forum to deal with this.

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 1:16 PM, Steven Walling <swalling at wikimedia.org>wrote:

> Should we have someone present to represent volunteer patches that have
> dependencies/blockers?
>
> I look at the work of prolific contributors like MatmaRex, and I see
> important patches of theirs languishing. Many of these are in critical
> areas of MediaWiki, like login/signup, CAPTCHAs, mediawiki.ui and more.
>
> I would volunteer myself, but I'm stretched thin already with meetings.
>
> --
> Steven Walling,
> Product Manager
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/