[RCom-l] Fwd: surveys by community members

WereSpielChequers werespielchequers at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 10:35:10 UTC 2011

I know that on at least one occasion the Foundation has signed a
non-disclosure agreement with an editor and given them access to raw survey
information. But as I understand it that editor is a retired Academic and I
assume has confirmed that to the Foundation. In my view it would be wrong
to divulge identifiable personal data with fewer safeguards than that.

This still leaves us several potential avenues to follow. One based on Mani
Pande's suggestion would be to pair a Wikimedian with a credentialled
Academic researcher on the proviso that the credentialled researcher is the
only one with access to personally identifiable information, and only
passes the data to their wikimedia collaborator after anonymisation.

In my view a neater route would be to stipulate that unless the Foundation
has verified that the researcher is an appropriate person to hold
indentifiable data, any survey needs to be anonymous. This is of course a
little more complex than it sounds as edit count, date of first edit and
time as admin are all things that could uniquely identify an editor. So an
anonymous survey will often need banded questions especially if the raw
data will be released and not just a statistical abstract.

WSC