[RCom-l] Important: Poll for support of subject recruitment for "Anonymity and conformity [...]" study

Dario Taraborelli dtaraborelli at wikimedia.org
Sat Nov 19 02:10:15 UTC 2011

Goran,

let me quickly comment on the point you raise, I definitely don't want to increase the bureaucratization of the RCom review process. I want it to be lightweight, efficient, effectively distributed across RCom members and useful for the researcher and for Wikimedia. I don't think asking for the name of someone's supervisor is a major requirement given the amount of effort most of us are putting in this process, or is it? If you consider that we eventually say yes to every single request we receive (I cannot think of a single SR request that we rejected in the past, anybody?) making sure there is at least some sane accountability mechanism in place when we lack other information doesn't strike me as a major selection barrier.

Keep in mind that we are targeting our community, especially new users, with an increasing number of requests of various kinds. I was not aware of this problem until I started working at WMF and realized that as a new user in 2011 you will be contacted by several bots or students/researchers/WMF staff willing to recruit you for a survey before you get to talk to a fellow editor welcoming you (if you are lucky) to the project.

I don't want to be fussy about this particular request, and we should move forward if there is consensus, but the general problem with our passive support of SR requests is not settled yet as far as I am concerned.  I have limited time and resources to allocate to reviewing research collaboration requests and it's fair to say that 80-90% of my RCom activity is taken by reviewing surveys of any kind. I don't think we've ever followed up with previous surveys to see if they were successfully completed, if they produced any interesting results, if their results were ever shared with the community. What I am trying to say is that we could spend our effort more wisely to maximize the usefulness of our research outreach program and help researchers help us in this process.

Dario