[RCom-l] The tragedy of the Commons

Aaron Halfaker aaron.halfaker at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 16:48:18 UTC 2011

Mayo, you bring up a very good point.  I too feel that it is the minority
of editors who are at all upset with research recruitment on Wikipedia.
 Asking about research recruitment on the next editor survey seems like a
good idea.

I might also offer that the real problem here was the method of
recruitment, not recruitment itself.  This is something I hope to bring up
in our meeting.  I think that the study would have gone much more smoothly
if we had a mechanism to request the participation of individual editors
that did not appear in such a prominent place like the central notice
banner, but instead was more like a personal request to an individual.

As we consider research recruitment, I want to make sure that the
conversation is not framed around the supposition that recruitment itself
is the problem.  Instead, I think we are looking at a problem related to
the method of recruitment and ensuring that method bother editors as little
as possible.

-Aaron