[RCom-l] The tragedy of the Commons

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Mon Dec 12 19:52:53 UTC 2011

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 13:50:24 -0500, Diederik van Liere
<dvanliere at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear WSC,
>
> I think we need to be very precise about what the Berkman controversy is
> about. My understanding is that the use of banners with logo's on
central
> notice during the fundraiser and the kickback of donations is at the
heart
> of the controversy. It is not about the legitimacy of the research
> institutes, nor is it about surveys as a research methodology, or the
> actual research questions. As such, I think that we need to discus how
> to promote research studies but not debate the merits of Wikipedia
research
> itself.

I think right now it is mostly about the lack of communication, and this
is what we need to discuss as well. The main objections have been
summarized at two pages on English Wikipedia,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard/Incidents#Harvard.2FScience_Po_Adverts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_comment/Central_Notices

as well as on the Meta proposal page

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Dynamics_of_Online_Interactions_and_Behavior