[RCom-l] Harvard/Sciences Po study

Dario Taraborelli dtaraborelli at wikimedia.org
Fri Dec 9 01:26:51 UTC 2011

All,

this is to give everybody the heads up on a CentralNotice campaign that we launched hours ago to support a research project involving English Wikipedia editors. The project is run by the Berkman Center and Sciences Po and has been extensively reviewed for about a year by the research committee, the WMF Legal team, the Community and Tech depts and discussed in community fora [1]

The banner is going live for a few days (target end of the campaign: Monday night, conditional on the number of completed responses) and is being displayed only to a subset of logged-in editors of the English Wikipedia meeting a series of eligibility conditions. The banner has been designed to minimize disruption to our editors as requested during the community consultation process.

Since we are getting the first confused reactions from the community via different channels, I asked the researchers involved in the project (Jérôme Hergueux and RCom member Mayo Fuster) to set up a FAQ page prominently placed on the project description on Meta [2] and Jérôme has already started to draft one. This should allow us to have a central place to address community concerns on why we are doing this and point people to the long discussion and review process that led to the decision to support this project.

I have been working on this project to support the technical/legal implications longer than I expected and I'll try and catch up with my RCom backlog as soon as possible.

Dario

[1] http://blog.wikimedia.org/2011/12/08/experiment-decision-making/
[2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Dynamics_of_Online_Interactions_and_Behavior