[QA] php 5.5 jobs migrating to Jessie

Antoine Musso hashar+wmf at free.fr
Tue Sep 5 19:35:45 UTC 2017

On 05/09/2017 07:21, Legoktm wrote:
> On 09/04/2017 01:08 PM, Antoine Musso wrote:
>> CI has kept Ubuntu Trusty instance solely for Zend PHP 5.5.  Last week I
>> managed to build a rough package for Debian Jessie and got them
>> provisioned on the instances.
>>
>> Hence I have started migrating jobs from Trusty to Jessie, testing them
>> on all affected repositories as I am doing the change.
 >
> Is there any reason these can't move directly to the docker based setup?

Hello,

There are a few reasons we have been talking about with Tyler

* The Nodepool image imported to Docker ends up being 4.2GBytes on
Docker which is rather large. That is merely to accomodate all potential
use case since a single image is used for every kind of jobs.

* We got operations/puppet migrated to Docker as a proof of concept and
are polishing the details. Notably as how to cache package managers and
git repositories.

* We would most probably dish out puppet to provision the image since it
offers little value. The replacement would be plain shell commands and
we gotta translate everything.

So the main challenge is to have several Docker containers and have them
regenerated and published automatically to a registry.

There is also the challenge of having to maintain code for three
different distributions (trusty, jessie, stretch).

Once Trusty is phased out, we would add stretch images and that will
probably be under Docker.

--
Antoine Musso