[QA] Firefox + Selenium = </3

Željko Filipin zfilipin at wikimedia.org
Fri Jul 8 11:41:27 UTC 2016

Hi,

as some of you have noticed[0], there were problems with Firefox (version
47) and Selenium recently.

Firefox Driver[1] is a Firefox extension that is bundled with Selenium.
Selenium uses it to drive Firefox. Mozilla decided that from Firefox 48 all
extensions have to be signed[2] and for some reason Firefox Driver is not
signed. Something went wrong in Firefox 47 and Firefox Driver could no
longer drive Firefox.

We have fixed the problem by locking Firefox to version 46 in our CI.

The problem is fixed in Firefox 47.0.1. As soon as it is released as a
Debian package, we can update CI from 46 to it. Or we could stick with 45
Extended Support Release (ESR)[3]. Why 45? Please continue reading.

Mozilla has created Marionette[4] "the next generation of FirefoxDriver",
and it is "nearing completion". But it's status page[5] does not say it is
almost done. It looks to me that it is far from done. One of the people
working on it says it is 85% done[6]. The problem with Marionette is that
some tests could work just fine, and others will fail. It is hard for me to
say when will it be ready.

Looks like Chrome is winning this browser war[7] so it would make sense to
use Chrome/Chromium in our CI.

What do you think?

#1 Firefox 45
#2 Firefox 47.0.1
#3 I need to test in Firefox 48+! Please make it work it Marionette. I do
not care if some things are broken.
#4  Firefox is so 2015. Let's switch to Chrome.
#5 A combination of the above options. (Please specify.)
#6 Something else. (Please specify.)

Željko
--
0: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T137561