[QA] Holding our code to better standards.

Greg Grossmeier greg at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 3 20:59:15 UTC 2015

(I've put the TO: field as the QA list only, and put everyone else on
BCC now. If you're curious in this topic, please join the QA mailing
list and follow along. It's not a very high traffic list.)

<quote name="Jon Robson" date="2015-09-03" time="11:45:47 -0700">
> Dear Greg, and anyone else that is involved in deployment

Hi there :)

> <successes over the past month>

Awesome :)

> The future!:
> Given this success:
> 1) I would like to see us run @integration tests on core, but I
> understand given the number of bugs this might not be feasible so far.

https://integration.wikimedia.org/ci/view/BrowserTests/view/Core/

Those are pretty stable, but limited (rightfully) in number. Looks like
the last run of the first job took 8 minutes. Not too bad.

> 2) We should run @integration tests prior to deployments to the
> cluster via the train and communicate out when we have failures (and
> make a decision to push broken code)

The way I hear this is: Run @integration tests on merge to wmfXX
branches. Is that an accurate rephrasing?

If not, then it mean what we're planning on doing with respect to the
"Staging" cluster work we started, paused (due to time constraints), and
will restart in Q3. tl;dr: The staging cluster will be a cluster that
runs nightly full blown tests against a git tag. In the morning we'll be
able to make a go/no-go decision on deploying that tag.

That "nightly" part can, of course, be modified to whatever frequency we
can support (which can probably be pretty fast).

> 3) I'd like to see other extensions adopt browser test voting on their
> extensions. Please feel free to reach out to me if you need help with
> that. The more coverage across our extensions we have, the better.

Thanks for the offer of help, Jon! That's awesome. I love the idea of
teams/groups helping other teams/groups! You, personally, have been
great this so far and I thank you for that.

Greg

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |