[QA] [reading-wmf] tracking/documenting specs for your components

Brian Gerstle bgerstle at wikimedia.org
Mon Nov 16 17:17:02 UTC 2015

Are we encouraging any other practices for tracking work and related
specifications?  Phriciton caught my eye because having some kind of wiki
for specs that's integrated with Phabricator could be useful.  For example,
Atlassian makes Confluence, in which teams can write specs that link to
(and provide rich views of) JIRA tickets. [0]  This provides a clear,
navigable document tree which people can use to learn more about what a
piece of software is and how it's features are supposed to work
(wiki/documentation); where it's going (links to epics in proj. mgmt); and
what's being actively worked on (links to tickets w/ inline status data).

One could probably accomplish some or most of this by having specs be a
Phab tickets themselves, but I was hoping for a friendlier spec/doc
authoring experience than Phab ticket descriptions & sub-/blocking-task
linking.  I'd also love for this to be an opportunity for teams to dogfood
the MW editing experience, and think tools integrating wikis into Phab
would be great.

Of course, all of this is why I'm asking what other teams are doing.
Please chime in with your teams' practices or ideas on how to capture
specs!  So far, I've found the Reading team's Feature Matrix
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Features>, but it was out of date
(I discovered it today and updated the iOS column), and doesn't seem linked
to any other documentation or Phabricator projects/tickets/etc.

0: "How to Document Product Requirements in Confluence"
https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/blog/2015/08/how-to-document-product-requirements-in-confluence

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 11:43 AM, Greg Grossmeier <greg at wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> <quote name="Brian Gerstle" date="2015-11-16" time="11:39:32 -0500">
> > Is that because nobody has expressed interest in using it, or we
> > specifically don't want people to use it?
>
> Reasoning is basically: Why would we encourage the use of a sub-par wiki
> that is more hidden from our users/community/other staff developers than
> our usual places of work (eg mw.org)? :)
>

> --
> | Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
> | identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

EN Wikipedia user page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Brian.gerstle
IRC: bgerstle