[QA] [WikimediaMobile] No one cares about browser tests [Re: MobileFrontend QA job]

Sam Smith samsmith at wikimedia.org
Tue Mar 31 08:16:43 UTC 2015

Dan, Jon,

I got caught up in meetings yesterday – you'll see this email a lot during
Q4 ;) – so I delayed sending this email, so forgive the repetitions of some
of Dan's points/questions:

Here are a few ways I can think of:

>    - include feedback on browser tests – or lack thereof – during code
>    review
>

>    - make browser test failures even more visible than they currently are
>    – but maybe not the success reports, eh?
>

>    - can these reports be made to point at a bunch of candidate changes
>    that may have broken 'em?
>

>    - hold a browser-test-athon with the team and any volunteers at the
>    {Lyon,Wikimania} hackathon
>

>    - make it trivial to run 'em, if it isn't already
>
> From what little experience I have of trying to establish team practices,
I'd say that it's best to advocate for <practice> and demonstrate its
value*, rather than criticise. I'd love to see you funnel your passion for
browser testing into a talk or series of talks for the mobile team – the
org, maybe? – or maybe you've got some recommended reading or talks you'd
like to share that'll inspire.

–Sam

* If you'd like to hear my opinions about browser testing, then insert one
beer and wind me up a little