[QA] Upcoming work on test environments

S Page spage at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 18 20:28:50 UTC 2014

Flow code that worked on beta labs broke Special:Contributions and
Special:RecentChanges when deployed to production today. We missed it
because beta is running HHVM and production is running Zend PHP (and
developers tend to be running newer versions of the latter).  ErikB and
Reedy quickly fixed it[1], but %$#@ :-( !

This indicates that it is a high priority to have separate test
environments for:
1) "if master works here it'll work in production on Thursday" and
2) "do these upcoming features work?"
which is what Chris McMahon describes, excerpted below. So +7 to that.

In the meantime is there anything we can do to give us 1)?  E.g. make beta
cluster run HHVM according to an environment variable, the way AIUI
production is set up, and re-run all our tests with/without that setting?
The Flow team has a "kind of close to production" labs instance that we use
for testing, but there's no automated way to keep its configuration in
sync. I know some devs have hacked their local mediawiki to use
CommonSettings/InitialiseSettings , but I don't think there's a puppet role
for this.

Thanks for any ideas.

[1]  https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/161330/

--